The annual Salt Lake Valley GIS Day, which is sponsored by the Utah Geographic Information Council (UGIC) Education Committee, was held on November 26 & 28, 2012 at Salt Lake Community College's Miller Campus. Over five hundred 4 -7 grade students from around the Salt Lake Valley attended the event. UGIC supplied bus grants to help with the cost of transportation.
Students attended sessions on:
- What GIS is and what it can be used for
- The history of aerial photography and how aerial photography is used today
- How to use ArcGIS Online to make maps
- How mapping is used in common workplace settings
- Applying GIS to solve an archaeological mystery
In order to reach more students outside of GIS Day, the Education Committee is looking for geo-spatial mentors who are willing to volunteer their time in visiting schools to deliver a prepared lesson on geo-spatial technologies and associated careers. The Education Committee will provide you with the materials and information you need, as well as put you in touch with schools in your area of interest. If you are interested in volunteering for the mentor program, sign up here. Thanks! -The UGIC Education Committee