United States Postal Service Data
- Data Type: GIS Data Layer
- Steward(s): AGRC and the USPS
- Abstract: These datasets are related to mail delivery. Included are post office locations and zipcode boundaries in Utah.
The following data is available for download:
Location.ZipcodePOBoxes represents the approximate locations of USPS Post Offices in Utah. Each zipcode's assigned post office has a point, therefore if a post office has multiple zipcodes, it will have multiple points.
The native spatial reference for this dataset is UTM Zone 12N, NAD83 (0.01 meter coordinate precision).
- July 2008
Boundaries.ZipCodes represents an ongoing effort to approximate the geographic extents of five digit zip codes. The dataset was produced using a combination of methods and is based on several sets of source data. Editing methods include:
- Using local zipcode polygon data obtained from counties and cities.
- Identifying place locations (cities, towns, populated areas, etc.) from the postal service website and address information system (AIS) and building zipcode boundaries around these places.
- Using the 2000 Census TIGER line file’s zip code attributes.
In addition, AGRC has used the locations of mailing addresses known to be valid to fine tune this dataset. The native spatial reference for this dataset is UTM Zone 12N, NAD83 (0.01 meter coordinate precision).
- July 2015 - Split the 84095 (South Jordan) zip code along the Bangerter Hwy to create the new zip code 84009 (South Jordan)
- July 2012 - Salt Lake City and West Valley City zip code adjustments
- July 2012 - adjusted 84638, 84648, 84649 to follow the Juab/Millard County boundary change
- July 2011