The Utah Geospatial Resource Center (UGRC) is the State of Utah’s map technology coordination office. UGRC staff (directory/contacts) have knowledge of and experience with geographic information system (GIS) desktop software, hosted map- and web-services, mapping data resources, and GIS professionals and their activities around the state. Since 1984, we have been encouraging and facilitating the effective use of geospatial information and technology for Utah. Read more about how we aim to continue this mission in our strategic plan, last updated in 2020.
We are located on the 4th floor of the Taylorsville State Office building. You can follow these (directions to find parking). UGRC is within the Division of Technology Services within the Department of Government Operations.
UGRC is directed under mapping-related sections of Utah statute to coordinate GIS resources within state government including the management of the State Geographic Information Database (SGID) and the operation of The Utah Reference Network for Global Positioning Systems (TURNGPS) that provides high precision correction services for surveying, mapping, and machine control.
UGRC was one of the first geospatial information offices in the country, established a few years before its formal adoption in code in 1984. After many years, our storefront remains located at the intersection of geography, technology, and the quest for enterprise-wide efficiency.
UGRC is funded through a combination of State general and restricted funds and cost-recovery revenue sources from project work and grant awards. This hybrid approach ensures some stable base for SGID and coordination activities but keeps us on our toes by requiring us to keep up with the latest developments in our field so we can offer cutting edge GIS consulting services to those in need.
What We Do at UGRC
- Google Imagery License
- Lidar Elevation Models
- Location Analytics
- 911 Map Data Support
- Municipal, Voting, and other Civic Boundaries
- Public Land Survey System
- Spatial Database Design, Integration and Hosting
- Statewide Address Point Aggregation
- Statewide Road Centerline Aggregation
- Statewide GIS Strategic & Business Plans
- TURN GPS sub-centimeter precision
GIS Organizations & Affiliates
- Utah Geographic Information Systems Advisory Council (GISAC)
- GISAC is composed of individuals from many state agencies all working together to further the cause of GIS in Utah. UGRC is trying to create a forum in which all levels of GIS expertise can mingle, learn from each other, and learn of each other’s challenges. GISAC also sends recommendations to the CIO as potential rules or recommendations that would enhance GIS coordination and cooperation throughout Utah.
- Utah Geographic Information Council (UGIC)
- UGIC is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to lead the effective application of geographic information in Utah. It is their vision to provide a modern, accurate, documented, and accessible geospatial information infrastructure for all of Utah.
- National States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC)
- NSGIC promotes the coordinated, impactful, and cost-efficient application of GIS and other location-based information and analytics to best serve the nation, with emphasis on the power of initiatives and public policy that connect across local, state, federal, and private sector partners.
- Utah Geographic Information Council Annual Conference (UGIC)
- The UGIC Conference is the premiere Utah GIS conference. It is a great way to meet local GIS professionals and stay current on what is happening with GIS trends.
- Annual UGIC Maps on the Hill (MOTH)
- MOTH is an excellent opportunity for students and professionals to share maps, mapping tools, and mapping projects with elected officials, fellow practitioners, and the public.
- GIS Day
- GIS Day showcases geospatial technologies to students to make them aware of the possibilities and capabilities of geographic information technologies and much more!