- Category: Address
- Data Type: Geolocators
- Steward(s): UGRC
- Web Application: View
- Abstract: Adding a geographic point for an address is a fundamental GIS task. To handle this task, UGRC has created many services and tools to cater to the wide geocoding user base. Starting from the ground up, UGRC helps maintain statewide address points and roads datasets. These two datasets are the foundation for geocoding. Building on top of the reference data, UGRC creates and maintains ArcGIS Locators. Locators are where most of the magic happens - taking the input data and finding a location from the reference data. These locators are available for download on this page. With the reference data and the locators blocks in place, UGRC can put together geocoding systems and tools. The UGRC WebAPI is a web service that can geocode over the web via http. Users can send requests via their favorite programming language, application, or web browser. This service has intimate Utah addressing knowledge to get the best results out of user input and is the recommended way to geocode addresses. UGRC also provides pre-built clients to use the Web API that can be downloaded below. UGRC hopes to have the data and tools ready for your needs to geocode.
Official UGRC API Client
The UGRC API Client is a cross-platform, stand-alone desktop geocoding tool designed to carefully guide you step-by-step through your geocoding tasks. This app is our most user friendly geocoding client for geocoding
*.csv files. It does not require a license or subscription to use and automatically downloads updates as soon as they are available to stay current and add new features.
- Review the release notes on GitHub.
This custom toolbox created by the UGRC allows ArcGIS users to geocode a table of addresses. The geocoding tool makes use of the UGRC Web API to perform the geocoding. A complimentary API key will need to be obtained to run the tool.
The tool's documentation is maintained in GitHub. Please refer to the readme for the most current information on downloading and running the tool. ArcGIS Desktop versions of this tool can be found in the py-2 branch.
We've put together a how-to video explaining the basics of using the toolbox.
Downloads and Web Services
- May 2020, Most of the code was modernized and rewritten
- March 2020, The ArcGIS Pro tool was promoted to master
- January 2014, The ArcGIS Desktop tool was created
The UGRC API is an HTTP-enabeled service for accessing our geospatial data stored in the State Geographic Information Datasource (SGID) over the internet. The endpoints provided by the API are a great way to add geospatial functionality to your web pages and applications or desktop workflows. You will be able to geocode addresses and search all the data in the SGID. To get started, read the getting started guide. There are also examples of geocoding in multiple programming languages. To use the UGRC API, you will need a general understanding of programming. If you are new to programming, or do not know how to program, you can you one of the prebuilt clients.
- Geospatial Web Services
- Using UGRC's Geocoding and Map-based Web Services
- EDG brown bag event presentation
- 2014 UGIC WebAPI Presentation slides
- Rethinking Geocoders: Adding Local Vernacular into the Build Process
- Authoritative Utah Geocoding Results
- Utah Statewide Address Geocoding Web Service Upgrade